Hmmm
Interesting paper:
DETECTION OF X-RAY FLUORESCENCE LINE FEATURE FROM THE LUNAR SURFACE
1234 Y. Kamata , T. Takeshima , T. Okada , and K. Terada

http://www.u.phys.nagoya-u.ac.jp/uxge/publication/pdf/kamata99_2.pdf.

                                        Here is the abstract:

                                        2

                                        We present the results of an analysis
by ASCA (Japanese X-ray astronomy satellite)
observation of the lunar surface on July 10th - 11th, 1993. In spite of the
fact that the
X-ray surface brightness is estimated to be at nearly CXB (Cosmic X-ray
Background) level,
the X-ray spectrum shows significant deviations in relation to Al-K
                                                and Si-K
                                                fluorescence
X-rays. According to the intensity ratios of Al/Si (1-2) and Mg/Si (<0.4), the
properties of
the X-ray spectrum is consistent with an intermediate abundance ratio between
highlands and
mares (or relatively similar to highland values). However, the X-ray
illuminated region on
the lunar surface are mainly covered with mare regions and the emission of Al-K
and Si-K
fluorescence arises from both day side and night side region of the moon. These
facts
indicate the existence of X-ray production due to bremsstrahlung, with high
energy particles
impacting even on the night side.