http://www.nature.com/articles/srep02607

Cavity Optical Pulse Extraction: ultra-short pulse generation as seeded
Hawking radiation

This article shows how a Dark Mode optical cavity (which is what an SPP
really is) can absorb light and store it, then later release it as Hawking
radiation (heat) at a latter time. The optical cavity acts as a black hole.

I say that all these "Dark Mode" objects share a dualism with the
astronomical black hole which allows them to do unexpected things like
catalyze LENR.