I wrote:

> 2. The total mass of coal needed to replace steel this would be much less
> than the mass of coal we now burn. I estimate it would be roughly 1/5th.
> World production of steel is 135 million tons per month or 1.620 billion
> tons per year . . .

I realize that is a silly analysis. We are not going to replace every ton
of steel with carbon filament. In many cases it would be a bad choice of
materials. You would not want carbon filament manhole covers. Most of the
steel we replace would be used in transportation, making automobiles,
trucks and railroad trains. I do not know what fraction of total steel
production that is. Forbes tells me automobile manufacturing consumes 12%
of steel:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2015/05/20/trends-in-steel-usage-in-the-automotive-industry/#65264c677865

So, let us say carbon replaces 30% of steel, including cars, railroad cars,
bridges, and other applications that would benefit from a lightweight,
stronger replacement for steel. To replace that much steel with an
equivalent mass of coal (ignoring the fact that carbon fiber is lighter) it
would take 6% of the mass of coal we now mine. That will not save the
industry or preserve employment.