Jed,
Your faith in the law is touching. The law is an ass (as stated by the chief justice) I am not confident a judge deciding between two experts would get it right. Much more likely to be decided by the wording of the contract.

You write about claims of a COP of 80. My recollection was that it peaked at 60 and we don't really know what the average was. I suppose you could come up with any number you wish if you choose the right time period with SSM.

The input power to the whole plant must be known from the electricity bill. We don't know how the output was measured but we are told the ERV had his own instruments and so it should have been measured at least twice. It is not particularly hard to do. My guess is that it is over COP 6 or Rossi would not have sued. What IH were able to do themselves is a red herring and shouldn't effect the court case.
.