Jed.

In the 1960s I was on the Capetown Castle, one of the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company's ships that had a Burmeister & Wain double acting marine engine that was of comparable size. I recall it was 45' from the top to the center line of the crankshaft. Not long after I left there was a crankshaft explosion that killed most of the engineers on watch.

I think Burmeister & Wain were probably the first to build these large diesels starting ~110 years ago. The con rod for the main piston went through the center of the lower double acting piston. This made it a pain to change when it split due to thermal expansion problems on starting or stopping. Some were much more prone than others for this problem.