From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2016 12:33 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:81 MW container ship Diesel engine

Here is an astounding machine:

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1405-maersk-e-class-container-ships/

This photo shows the scale of it:

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1405-maersk-e-class-container-ships/#photo-05

The crankshaft weighs 300 tons!

I am writing an essay about engines and other primary energy consuming
machines. My thesis is that machines which can be made smaller and mass
produced will be much cheaper with cold fusion. This machine cannot be made
smaller, and there is no mass market for it. There are only 5,000 container
ships in the world. This would be somewhat cheaper with cold fusion. Of course
the fuel will cost nothing.

This engine consumes 150 gallons of heavy oil per mile, at 30 mph (25.5 knots).
30 mph is incredibly fast!

I find it amazing that they can operate this ship with a crew of only 13 people.

Ship specifications:

SPECIFICATIONS

Vessel:

Maersk E-Class