Back-of-the-envelope calculation

I'm going to look at a column of air of volume V -- with area A ... and a
height H sufficient to hold
1-second's worth of 1MW of heat. This has to be vented in 1 second.

1MW is 1000 kJ /second.
Q = 1000 kJ in one second

Specific heat of air at 100C is 1 kJ / (kg K)
Density of air at 100C is r = 1kg/m^3

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-properties-d_156.html

Ambient air is 20C, heated air is 100C dK = 80

Q = S * dK * M

Mass = 1kg * r * V = r * V

Q = S * dK * r * V

Solve for V :

V = Q / ( S * dK * r ) = 1000 / ( 1. * 80 * 1.)
= 12.5 m^3 per SECOND
= 750 m^3 per MINUTE

= 26,486 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute)

That's a teeny tiny little fan!