It is a shame you cannot easily recharge batteries in the body. Heart
Venticular Assist Devices (VAD) are all powered by a physical connection to
the outside of the body. I suppose that must be a awkward, and a source of
infection. See:

http://www.mylvad.com/content/what-lvad-how-does-it-work

http://www.heartware.com/sites/default/files/uploads/docs/ifu00001_rev_15.pdf

Of course these things take much more power than a pacemaker.

Artificial hearts have not be successful, but VAD are similar and they are
effective. In some cases, VAD have apparently helped the patients' hearts
recover and improve their function, I guess by reducing the burden of work.