We haven't had any new nuclear power plants built in many years.
Since any notion of NIMBYism is to be rejected ( despite overwhelming
political
evidence that it is real),  the clear answer is THAT URANIUM HAS PEAKED!
The same goes for the rich Cape Cod elitists who don't want wind
turbines
off their coast.  Clearly, saving birds is paramount.

  Why build nuclear power plants when we know that uranium is running
out?  Surely, the situation is no different than the fact that the US
hasn't built a new
  refinery since 1976 -  Obviously,  everyone knew - 30 YEARS AGO - that
we were running out of oil and refineries were a waste of time.

  Obvious too,  is the fact that everyone knows that coal/ shale/
thermal pyrolysis treated garbage will never give us significant sources
of oil.  What are
  Pennsylvania and Montana thinking, when they to spend billions for
this?  Those estimates of centuries worth of coal aren't to be taken
seriously.
  Anyone who thinks otherwise needs a reality