Magnetic-monopole transformation seen in ultracold gas
[image: Artist's impression of the monopole transition]
<http://images.iop.org/objects/phw/news/21/5/25/2017-05-18-Flash-two.jpg>
Poles apart: artist's impression of the monopole transition
<http://images.iop.org/objects/phw/news/21/5/25/2017-05-18-Flash-two.jpg>

The transformation of a quantum monopole into a Dirac monopole has been
observed for the first time by physicists at Amherst College in the US and
Aalto University in Finland. Magnetic monopoles – entities that possess
only a north or a south magnetic pole – were predicted 80 years ago by Paul
Dirac. While isolated monopoles have never been seen, physicists have been
able to create several different collective excitations in condensed-matter
systems that resemble monopoles. Now, a team led by David Hall
<http://www3.amherst.edu/~halllab/> and Mikko Möttönen
<http://physics.aalto.fi/en/groups/qcd/> has used a Bose–Einstein
condensate (BEC) of ultracold rubidium atoms to first create an excitation
called a quantum monopole, which takes the form of a topological point
defect. The quantum monopole exists in a non-magnetized state of the BEC,
but then the team applies a magnetic field to the BEC, causing it to become
magnetized. This causes the destruction of the quantum monopole, which is
then reborn as a Dirac monopole – an excitation that more closely resembles
Dirac's original particle. "I was jumping in the air when I saw for the
first time that we get a Dirac monopole from the decay," says Möttönen.
"This discovery nicely ties together the monopoles we have been producing
over the years." The research is described in *Physical Review X*
<https://journals.aps.org/prx/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevX.7.021023>.