See two articles about this:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/05/news/economy/elon-musk-puerto-rico-tesla-power-grid/index.html

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/ugc/articles/2017/10/04/puerto-rico-rebuild-with-microgrids.html

I wonder if it could be done quickly enough to help the present crisis. I
guess they should do everything they can, with small scale systems and
large ones.

The first article says that Tesla is having an impact in Hawaii. Hawaii has
the largest percent of decentralized, small-scale generation capacity in
the U.S. This is causing problems for the electric power companies, both
technical and financial. I feel a little sorry for the power companies.
Just a little. They should have seen it coming, and found a way to profit
from it.