I meant to say:

> That is one way to define net energy. I would define it as the energy
> added to the plasma itself. By that definition, all fusion reactions with
> atoms lighter than iron always produce net energy.

I mean to say:

I would define it as the output energy from the plasma, which is the energy
added to the plasma itself plus the energy from the fusion reaction. As I
said, that total is always more than the energy added to the plasma, up to
the iron limit. That does not include energy used outside the plasma for
the instruments or machinery.

It can be confusing, as I said. And demonstrated, since I myself was
confused.