Axil-
Regarding
permalink.lanl.gov/object/tr?what=info:lanl-repo/lareport/LA-UR-17-21903<http://permalink.lanl.gov/object/tr?what=info:lanl-repo/lareport/LA-UR-17-21903>egarding:

I think this document indicates that the reactor’s temperature coefficient
changes sign from positive to negative at high temperatures around 800 C.  They
note that additional reactivity must be added to get to the desired operating
temperature.

I still did not see a clear discussion of a prompt criticality at the lower
temperatures where the positive temperature coefficient exists.

The document does indicate that the change in reactivity is associated with
expansion of the reactor with temperature.  However the slow kinetics
associated with expansion will not stop a rapid multiplication of k-eff.
considering epi-thermal neutrons which can cause run-away reaction or an
explosion.

The epi-thermal neutron cross sections of the various nuclear species in the
reactor  are important when it comes to prompt critical evaluation, as I would
assume the folks at LANL are aware.  For example I wonder if the epi-thermal
neutron cross sections for molybdenum are well established?   I think they are
well established for Hf and Zr, neither of which metals are used in the
reactor.  I am not sure how boron reacts to a fast neutron flux.  It may
actually multiply fast neutrons.
The report should clearly address this potential accident.  If you saw such an
analysis that I have missed, please correct me.

Bob Cook