I've always been of the same opinion... up till now.

The thing is, a real model is inherently suspect - defeating its ostensible
purpose.  Batteries and motors can be hidden, etc.

Suppose you surround your build with meters.  Meters for everything.
Meters FOR the meters.  All cross-referencing perfectly...  except you're
now in an even worse position - tangles of wires everywhere, and besides,
everyone knows that everyone who ever appealed to a meter reading to
support such a claim was either reading it wrong, or connecting it wrong,
etc. etc.   Even if you trusted that my meters readings were reliable,
they're still showing you an impossible result, and you've still no idea
what the putative gain mechanism is.

Now consider that you have the same thing in simulation - except now, the
thing has its entire guts out.  You can see the values of everything, in
every field.  Everything is independently metered, using standard formulas
that can be manually checked by anyone.  So you can independently calculate
the input and output work integrals, from their respective dependent
variables, which are also all clearly displayed, and confirm for yourself
that everything is being presented accurately.  You can immediately
replicate the results on the back of an envelope, from first principles.

So this strikes me as far more compelling evidence than any physical
model.  It cannot be faked, and there can be no magic, mystery or gaps in
communicating the gain principle.  It's immediate, unambiguous validation
or dismissal, open and shut.

The sims i've produced amount to full disclosure.  I've written up a brief
not-too-rambling explanation to accompany them, but anyone au fait with
basic mechanics only needs to see the sims, because they fully reveal the
conclusive maths in progress...  input and output work calculated
independently from each end, meeting in perfect agreement..  This has to be
MUCH better than some dubious desktop model, surely..?

I want to share, but sensibly, without digging myself into a trench..