H LV <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

The article on Carbon Engineering I posted in thread called Carbon Capture
> and Renewable Fuels makes it clear that they are not hiding the fact that
> they need an outside energy source.

Of course they do! It is not a perpetual motion machine. As you say, the
authors make this clear.

If the source of energy were solar, nuclear, wind or cold fusion, this
might be a viable way to pull significant amounts of carbon from the
atmosphere. However, if it were cold fusion, we would not need the carbon
for synthetic chemical fuel, so the only purpose would be to reduce CO2 and
the threat of global warming. I think you could accomplish that more
readily by planting millions of trees and then, when they grow old and
start to die, by making charcoal out of them and burying it in the ground.
That would take decades but it could be done on a massive scale, and having
all those trees would be a great benefit in other ways. I hope that we will
not need the land because I hope agriculture will be done indoors, and meat
grown *in vitro*.

This might be a good way to make synthetic fuel from wind electricity, but
I suppose electrolysis and some sort of hydrogen-based fuel would be
better. It does not take much water. You can even do it in arid places such
as North & South Dakota, where they have astounding amounts of potential
wind energy. I have read that if their potential wind energy were used to
make synthetic liquid fuel, it would produce more fuel than all of the oil
coming out of Middle East. (The potential energy when built up; not
present-day wind energy.)