In contrast with Big Tobacco of the 1970s, I think the big car companies
and big oil have investors who suffer from risk aversion rather than naked
selfishness.

Harry

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM Jed Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jones Beene <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>> He did not mention explicitly : "investors from the petroleum industry"
>> since that is a given ... but the implication is that he gets constant
>> negative feedback from some of his investors, at the level of Board of
>> Directors, NOT to pursue electric vehicles... Imagine that...
>>
>
> I expect this is what led to the destruction of the GM EV1, and to the
> long delay in introducing electric cars. However, when the market for
> electric cars began to heat up, and when Tesla began to outsell all other
> luxury cars combined, this motivation evaporated. GM, Ford and the others
> feared they would face extinction if they did not develop electric cars.
> They would not let influential Board Members or politicians prevent them.
>
> For the same reason, GM, Ford and the others rushed to build hybrid cars
> after the Prius become popular. Hybrid cars greatly reduced gasoline
> consumption, so if there were Board Members with connections to big oil, I
> suppose they would have opposed them. I don't know if there were such
> Members but if there were, GM ignored them.
>
> Again, for the same reason, they are now pouring billions into
> self-driving automobiles. There may be industries and groups that oppose
> that oppose that technology. I wouldn't know. But no auto executive would
> listen to opponents, because after Toyota or GM starts selling self-driving
> cars, the others better have one within a few years or they will be doomed.
>
>

Reply via email to