Andrew,

This is amazing. I have been pondering what puts the curl into a curling
stone for over 15 years and this week my intuition has been bolstered by
letting the entire surface of a planet be a curling rink and reading about
the work of Eötvös. The physics of curling is a controversial area of
physics with competing theories. However, I don't think anyone has
considered what effect the rotation of the planet might have on the weight
of the stones as they move.

I don't know about GR but some interesting things would happen if the disc
also spins as it slides over the surface like a curling stone on ice.
The weight-density of the disk will vary around it even if it is of uniform
mass-density. This because the contact velocity also varies around the
stone do to combination of its orbital and spin motion. If the surface is
frictionless but supple (not perfectly rigid) the reactionary force around
the disk will vary and be a maximum where the weight density is a maximum
which will result in a orbit that isn't a great circle. Alternatively if
the surface is perfectly rigid but does have friction this could generate
some non-circle paths as well before the disk comes to rest.

Harry