Robin <mixent...@aussiebroadband.com.au> wrote:

I thought I just read in one of the papers recently posted on Vortex that
> preparation of the surface involved oxidizing

the metal. That would make sense if reacting it with Hydrogen resulted in
> the creation of nascent water molecules that
> then act as Hydrino catalysts.

I believe this is done during the preparation stage. After that, they pump
out all oxygen and other gases several times, and add only the purest
hydrogen they can get.

> This assumes that the Hydrogen is stored in a Hydride. Some may use
> bottled Hydrogen.
> There is also the potential problem that escaping Hydrogen could
> accumulate somewhere, mixed with air forming an
> explosive mixture. If it happens to accumulate in the passenger
> compartment (e.g. carried in by the aircon), the
> occupants may not notice until it is too late (Hydrogen is odorless).
> Sometimes smoking kills instantly.

For a gas loaded cell, I think some hydrogen will be in the hydride, and
some in the space between the hydride metal and the walls (which should be
small). Plus some hydrogen might be needed in a small tank, to be added as
hydrogen slowly leaks out of the cell. That may not be needed. Recharging
the cell once a year at a dealership might be sufficient. I do not know how
gas-tight a cell can be. The tanks of pure hydrogen I have seen in
laboratories sit around for years without losing pressure, as far as I
know. In any case, the make-up gas tank would be very small, about the size
of compressed air tanks used by bicyclists. Like this one that holds 600
mL, 16 bars max:

https://www.amazon.com/SKS-RideAir-Portable-Air-Tank/dp/B01MCWGREM

Which, if I have used an on-line calculator correctly, comes to 0.020 g/mL,
or 12 g of air. Hydrogen weighs 7% of air, so that's 0.84 g.

I think it would be easy to ensure that any gas leak goes into the
atmosphere and does not enter the passenger cabin. Hydrogen is lighter than
air and would quickly go out from under the hood of the engine compartment.
The heat engine portion of a cold fusion powered vehicle would probably
have low Carnot efficiency, so it would need a cooling fan. This could
easily ensure any gas leak is blown away. (I say it would have low Carnot
efficiency because keeping the temperature at a moderate level, such
as 300°C, would prolong the life of the equipment, and there is no point to
saving fuel by increasing Carnot efficiency.)