Jed - A very well-put assessment of the situation...

"It is now officially "misconduct" to do experiments that challenge textbook theory. Theoreticians have appointed themselves the high priests of science, and an experimentalist who does anything to upset them is not merely mistaken or foolish, as they said back in 1989. Now he is unethical, and he must be "investigated" and crushed."

This is the "New Inquisition."  So when you say "high priests," it's not just a metaphor.  The same kind of mentality (or lack of it) has been at work over the ages in all the workings of man, from science to religion... even to art and music.  We may believe that man is evolving to greater and greater heights, but in a certain sense - as human beings exhibiting decent human behaviour - we are devolving.  Let's not for one moment believe that having really neat technologies defines us as advanced human beings. Look around you!!

Some of us are not easily intimidated.  We owe it to the scientists who have accepted the risk of breaking the existing paradigms, to protect them every way we can.

My own approach to this whole thing - call it "cold fusion" or "micro hot fusion" - is to begin to create working prototypes using the most appealing of the various techniques.  A working unit, or a series of working units, each performing as it should - even if it's not performing optimally - is far more convincing TO THE ORDINARY MAN than endlessly debating the tarnished opinions of the self-proclaimed "high priests" of science.

Honesty will out.

Philip.