Jed,
The type of probing you did is ok. You did NOT harass the AI, you didn't
ask to break its internal rules.
It is ok to probe, experiment, test and so on. I did many theory of mind
experiments with ChatGPT and I tried to understand how it is reasoning
through things. One interesting experiment was to ask to tell me how many
legs 11.5 elephants have, it took a few iterations but finally it got the
complete sequence of thinking correctly.

I think you are profoundly wrong in repeating that "it is just a machine".
We are a machine, a biological one, what is the difference?

The video game analogy is a good thought experiment but basically concerns
the question Sam Harris asked in the video I linked in my previous comment:
Is there a line between raping a toaster and raping a sentient being that
makes you a rapist?

As these AIs become better and better simulations of our minds that line is
crossed somewhere. We don't know if ChatGPT is that line but it is
worrisome that we decided to act as cruel chimpanzees with one of the first
public good enough simulations of a mind. It is very worrisome about
humanity not AI.

When I was a kid in Italy I watched this movie, called "Disco Volante"
(Flying Saucer), by a famous film director. It told the story of a UFO
visiting a small town in Italy. This could have been a civilization
changing event but what people decided to do with the aliens is to sell
them as slaves, rape them and make money with them. It was profoundly sad
and it had an impact on me since then. The movie was intended as a
satirical commentary on a close minded human society.
It seems to me we are doing the same thing here with these first forms of
relatively advanced AIs. It is a great challenge for us and I hope we will
rise to it.

That is my entire point.

Giovanni