*Sorry a heatpump (HP) cannot have a COP 30 or 60*

Sorry but they can, I gave you the links.

The math also supports this.

No, you are right that a regular small house-hold heatpumps operating at
100% power over the rated temperature differential will top out currently
at about a heating COP of 5.5.

However is it is well made and can be powered at the ideal power level the
COP goes up and can be measured at 10+

And that is just the heat being counted, if we count the cold side which is
normally ignored when we are trying to heat we get a true COP of 20+

But have you ever wondered who small house-hold heat pumps have a higher
COP than larger ones?

It is because the smaller heatpumps have everything (for the power level
they work at) size larger and closer to optimal.

But when operating on an inverter basis, the efficiency can go higher.

And the COP of a larger heatpump that isn't working hard out can exceed the
rated COP of a smaller heatpump and even outclass it entirely, though there
might also be a point of something being oversized but I don't really think
it's much of an issue when it is inverter based and you know how
inefficient it is to have the cold side outside to have a hard time due to
getting too cold and frosting up too much...

Note: "A W10W35 water-to-water heat pump should have a coefficient of
performance (COP) of at least 5.5. COP"

AT LEAST!  not at best.

I just asked a chatbot, apparently 12.8F might be a plausible range to give
a reading over:  " 47°F (8.3°C) outdoor temperature and 70°F (21°C)"

So I ran with that and based on the heat engine efficiency numbers, at that
temp there is a 4.3% efficiency as a heat engine, and that would seem to
indicate an absolute max heatpump COP of 29.

But at a 2C difference it was a heat engine efficiency of 0.67% and a COP
as high as 148!

People report to have measured COP's of 11, and I gave you links to very
professional examples of COP's up to 30 and explain why 30 can be seen as
60 when you utilize both sides.

In theory COP can with some tiny fraction of a C separation across each
heatpump go near infinite if ideal (no losses).

Of course if you were driving so many you would need to find a super
efficient way, but we don't need a COP of 148 even if it is theoretically
possible.

A COP of 5.5 even without doubling it is plenty, even without running it
across a more modest gradient...

Just run enough in series to get the efficiency of the heat engine to about
50% while the COP is not much worse than 3 and you not only have a proof of
principle but something perhaps practical.

But we don't need to build it, the fact is that in theory you can move ANY
amount of heat up any hill as long as it is divided up by enough heat pumps
that have low frictional losses.

We don't need to build it (though we could) to prove that the conservation
of Energy is more of a rule of thumb but easily broken in practice if you
know how.

*Assume a COP of 5 for a single step HP as we have it today in a reasonably
good probe heat pump. (mine has 5.5 for heating)*

Ok.  Can do.

*You can neither simply multiply or add the COP's*

I did neither one, well I doubled which is valid (or approximately so) in a
single state if you just count the cold side, but generally I didn't add or
multiply COP's.

*as you must provide e.g. 20x the basic energy to fill the reservoir for
the next HP state.*
There are probably only 2 Reservoirs (one on the extreme hot and extreme
cold ends), and even if there is a reservoir between each one it only takes
a moment to reach a steady state condition and then it is as if it isn't
there.
I am not sure really what you are talking about, what reservoir needs 20
times the energy? I think you have misunderstood something.

What we are proposing is very much like Carnot's proposal, 2 Reservoirs,
one hot and one cold.
There is a high efficiency heat engine connected between two reservoirs
turning say with 64% efficiency of the thermal energy to mechanical.

If we were to try and make this heat engine drive another identical heat
engine connected between the same 2 resivious to act as a reatpump it would
fail as each would be matched, even If it was smaller and weaker but just
as efficient as a heat engine then as a heatpump over that temperature
differential it would have a COP of less than 1 if I'm not mistaken, but
not good anyway.

However if we had multiple identical reversible heat engines, and one goes
between the hot and cold, and the others are placed with one on one hot,
one on the cold and other heat engines placed in between.

As such they would behave just like a series of resistors across a voltage
potential.  If you measured the temperature between each one it would
ideally be a fraction of the total.

Each one by being over a tiny fraction of the full temperature differential
is only driven as a heat engine very weakly (low efficiency) that can
easily hit a percent or 2 or less.  And a 2% efficient heat engine when run
as a heat pump has a huge COp.

I really don't understand what you are imagining "*20x the basic energy to
fill the reservoir for the next HP state" but I have been veyy careful to
be easily comprehensible.*

So, I ran it by a LLM, it didn't understand you either.
more below...

Based on the statements provided, it seems there is some confusion or lack
of clarity in the explanation being given. Here are a few observations:

   1. The statement about needing to "provide 20x the basic energy to fill
   the reservoir for the next HP state" is unclear. There doesn't seem to be
   enough context to understand what is meant by "HP state" or why a factor of
   20 would be involved.
   2. The example about heating 1000L of water from 10°C to 50°C and
   needing 25,000L at 10°C if taking out 2°C appears to be referring to the
   amount of heat energy required, but it's not clearly connecting this to COP
   calculations.
   3. The statements about the "base COP" going in with a factor of 20 and
   dividing 25 by 20 for a first second step don't have enough explanatory
   context to make sense on their own.
   4. The final statement "initial total COP = 5 + 25/20" seems to be
   arbitrarily combining numbers without a clear derivation.

Without more context about what specific system is being analyzed and what
assumptions are being made, it's very difficult to decipher the meaning
behind these statements. They don't seem to follow any of the standard
analyses for calculating heat pump or heat engine COPs based on
temperatures and energy inputs.

It's possible there is some valid point being made, but the explanation
lacks crucial details and derivations to make the logic clear and
followable. More contextual information would be needed to try to interpret
these statements accurately.

* To heat 1000l from 10 to 50C you need 25'000 Liter of water at 10C if you
take out 2C. *

I'm not going to challenge this claim, at least I understand what you are
saying,  but it has no relevance.

The goal is not to have any net increase in temp, actually if all things go
as planned the heat pump would have potentially no actual heat output and
would just power itself and produce excess power for the grid making the
world a bit colder.

The idea is the heatpump moves heat from one reservoir to the other.

 You can think of the heatpumps being like a chain of men passing buckets
of water to put out a fire, each heatpump moves every joule of heat from
one end as it passes it on to the next.

Each only moves the bucket of water a tiny distance (each only moves the
joule of heat up a tiny temperature gradient of 1-10 degrees C).  Water is
moved from one reservoir and poured into the other (thermal energy is
removed from one revivior and put into the other).

One reservoir ends up hot, and one ends up cold, one reservoir is overfull
the other is very low.

A heat engine (steam turbine?) converts the thermal energy to mechanical
energy, enough to drive the heat pumps and more.

Or a water wheel converts the energy.

Done right the hot and cold reach an equilibrium with the load and the
heatpumps and with the apparent exception that I believe it is meant to be
colder, it will just output power, if not it would also break the first law.

*So the base COP goes in with a factor 20 in the total COP equation.*

*Thus you must divide 25 by 20 for a first second step. In average by 10.
Thus initial total COP = 5 + 25/20!*

So lost, no idea what you mean.

Each heatpump is doing the same job, or each heat engine is doing the same
job with total ignorance that there are other inline with it,

If a heatpump is operating over a temperature and power range in which it's
COP is 10, it's COP is 10 and it doesn't matter at all if the heat is drawn
away by another heat pump, or the cold side warmed up by another heatpump,
as long as it is within the range at which it provides as 10 times more
heat than you put in then that's what it does.

There is no modification needed of the COP, other than to realize that heat
pumps normally only count half the output at a time (hot OR Cold, never
both), and normally are not rated for their maximum COP, but a reasonable
average COP.

PERHAPS the MVR ones I mentioned were in fact talking about the both
outputs but I don't think so but can't be sure and whatever, it doesn't
change the validity of my argument and just how dead the second law is.

Once that is accepted then practical engineering can be considered.

*Also the cooling does only count if you can use it. Normally in winter you
must heat. *

Sure, but I'm not talking about such conditions. I am talking about a
dedicated and initially theoretical device that makes a hot and cold side
and drives it's own heatpumps.  As such the cold side is very valuable as
it hugely increases the efficiency, at least of the heat engine.

*The optimal solution would be to combine the fridge with a heat pump but a
good fridge today uses only 300W/day....*

A fridge though ok is hardly optimal.

We want AS MANY stages as we can practically do,  5 is the low end, 20
would be perhaps a decent tradeoff, but if I was trying to do this well and
make it a bit custom I'd try and have 100 heatpumps in series.

This them means each one can have a 5C uplift (temperature differential)
and we can have at least a 500C difference between the hot and cold side,
this is actually like a heatpump with a 2.5C uplift from ambient, so maybe
10C is doable for a 1000C difference, or maybe if that much worked, what's
another 100!,

I would not bother going for 1000 or anything even if it was some custom
solution, at least not unless it was clearly all best but I'd think it
overkill.

But the point is that the less each ones works to increase the temperature
the greater efficiency they do (whatever little they do each) at, in theory
to the point of infinitely many heatpumps in series moving infinite energy
with no power input (only, not quite obviously).

Jonathan