Terry wrote:

Hmmm, to deliver 500 kWhr in 8 minutes at 240 V . . .

500 kWhr x 60 = 30 MWmin

30 MWmin / 8 min = 3.75 MW instantaneous

15,625 Amps?

Buy copper futures!

Yup. We have discussed that here before. Various solutions have been floated, such as swapping the battery pack (as Fred just mentioned) or using a large pack of batteries at the charging station.

Actually, if you are going to swap a battery pack you might as well use one of today's slow charge batteries.

Still, it would be a big advantage to be able to recharge at the highest amperage your house can support. As quickly as possible, in other words. Even a rapid partial recharge would be convenient. If you had to drive 5 miles round trip to the grocery store but your battery was almost dead, it would be great to quickly recharge 1/6th before setting off. I know this would be convenient based on my experience riding the electric bicycle.

I think this battery would have immediate value in other ways:

In hybrid vehicles, reducing the need for a capacitor. (I assume they use one?)

For things like cell phones and electrically powered lawn clippers and mowers.

It would be great for my electric bicycle! There are thousands of electric bicycles and scooters in Beijing, so this could be a big help.

Chris has listed many other ways a good battery would help.