2006 15:48:58 -0400:
Hi,
[snip]

My car has a 40 L gas tank (only 1500 cc engine). At 14 kWh/kg for
gasoline that equates to 420 kWh. However an ICE probably uses on
average no better than 20% of this, hence for the purposes of
comparison, we get 84 kWh. Since electrical systems can be much
more efficient, let's say 75%, we would only need 112 kWh stored
in the bettery.

At 24 kW mentioned in another post, total recharge is accomplished
in 4.7 hours.
IOW during the early hours of the morning while you sleep...and
you start each day with a full "gas tank", which certainly isn't
the case currently (no pun intended). Perhaps more to the point,
since cruising requires less than 24 kW of power, one needs to
recharge less hours each day than one drives.
A simple rule of thumb, taking inefficiencies into account would
be recharging time = driving time.

>Hmmm, to deliver 500 kWhr in 8 minutes at 240 V . . .
>
>500 kWhr x 60 = 30 MWmin
>
>30 MWmin / 8 min = 3.75 MW instantaneous
>
>15,625 Amps?
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk