Robin van Spaandonk writes:

>comparison, we get 84 kWh. Since electrical systems can be much
>more efficient, let's say 75%, we would only need 112 kWh stored
>in the bettery.

It is 60% from power mains to "vehicle propulsion" with "current technology"
circa 1990. See:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/NRELenergyover.pdf

I'll bet it is 70% today; see exhibit A3. Regenerative braking is a big plus.

>A simple rule of thumb, taking inefficiencies into account would
>be recharging time = driving time.

The electric bicycle with lead-acid batteries does not meet this test. However,
there are now better batteries and specially made chargers that can speed
things up. A bicycle is the most efficient means of transportation on earth
(better than any other machine or animal), so you can see this charger is not
adequate.