From: Frederick Sparber
To: vortex-l
Sent: 5/22/2006 4:16:56 AM
Subject: Re: Helmholtz Layer Metal-Water Interface, Joe Cell Etc

> This is in contrast with the 4-circular-concentric-cell "Joe Cell"
> (with 1 Megohm-cm water with dissolved CO2)
> Total Resistance ~ 10,000  ohms = 1.2 milliamperes at 12 volts DC.
> Series Capacitance ~2.8 to  ~5.6 nanofarads/cell

Flat projection of the Joe Cell Electrodes:
_____________________________________ 6.00 inch dia Anode.
     ________________________________ 5.00inch dia
         ___________________________ 4.00 inch dia
            _______________________3.00inch dia
               ___________________ 2.0 inch dia  Cathode

For the purest that wants to nail down the capacitance:

"the capacitance per unit length is defined as"

  C/L =   2 (pi) K * eo/ ln [b/a]
Posted earlier.

> With our cell, adding a very small amount of baking
> soda increased the current from 2 milliamperes up
> to 21 milliamperes.
> Gas yield tests are under way using balloons so that
> pressure or vacuum in the electrolysis chamber can be handled.

At 17-19 milliamperes, several hours of electrolysis yielded only small
gas production on the 12- wall plate 2.75  x 4.5 inch (SS each 70 cm^2 spaced 1.0 cm)
with 12 volts DC applied to the end plates (11 cells in series).
More NaHCO3-water solution was fed to the sealed cell, which
increased the current to 500 milliamperes.  (6 watts at ~ 1.1 volts/cell)
The balloon inflated post haste.  :-)
Total cell resistance 24 ohms, ohms/cell 24/11 = 2.2 ohms
Electrolyte resistivity (rho) = 70 * 2.2 = 153 ohm-cm