A key experiment that has to be done is to take nickel sheet formed into Joe cell cylinders chrome them and build a cell. What happens if there is no iron at all? Is chromium the key. No-one has checked chromium for Fleischmann/ Pons effect. Cold fusion could be driving thermal dissolution of water, occurs at ~2000oC. If the ions produced are stripped of their electrons then we have O+3 and +H. A non combustible cold plasma with interesting properties. It should be hard to compress, it should hold more energy than hydrogen and oxygen. It may be a superconducting fluid.
The assumption is that we get O2 and H2 or hydroxides. However if we get huge temperatures and very large arcs then we get electron stripping and the geometry of concentric unearthed plates, capacitors, prevents the plasmas coming into contact with electrons so they can't react chemically. When they reach the carburetor or the spark plug they acquire electrons and they then react powerfully.

The key accusation on these machines is that they are burning lubricants. To control for this a simple test is to build a humphrey pump engine.
http://www.steamengine.com.au/ic/history/humphrey_pumps/
This replaces the piston and gear box and lubricated components with water. The explosion of the fuel/air mix pushes the the water out trough a one way valve. The catch is that humphrey pumps engines are low compression power plants. However if we are dealing with an implosive fuel then the working stroke of the power plant would be the up to top dead center not the 'pushing' down stroke.  The joe/ humphrey unit will have no lubricants so can't be burning it.  It's an all water system.

Please don't try both experiments; a chrome cell and a humphrey system, together; you multiply the complexity and if it does not work you wont know which bit failed.

The real irritation is that this the "joe cell" is clearly a power plant best suited for stationary application. It needs to be in a controlled environment and the engine bay of a car is far from that. We need to build cells and run stationary "emergency" generators from them to power portable equipment. This can be taken to people instead of asking them to come out to see the car in the car park.