I suppose KWh is a poor unit of energy to use when my example only ran for a few seconds, so change to some other suitible measure of energy.

On 9/15/06, John Berry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
No, Wesely is correct, it is an inertial anchor. (it could be used to push off or it could be used by moving it in the direction of travel and turning it on then bringing it to rest relative to the ship, or both)

The reason acceleration is tricky is not because the energy is converted into motion but because the motion effects the distance the light must travel in effect making it go out of resonance so the Q drops and the energy bouncing around drops sharply as with the force.

I believe that this can be corrected with a constant velocity which is fast enough to have the it reach resonance one wavelength above and below the stationary resonance depending on the direction of the photons. (you'd need to have higher frequency photons, more distant walls and decent acceleration, otherwise a far lower frequency would be effected less by acceleration)

However I very much like the rowing idea, the down side is that every stroke the energy will be dissipated so you will need to wait till it charges up again.

What you should note is that this device if it works at all MUST violate the conservation of energy, there is no way round it, if you use it to accelerate or row for 10 seconds and it accelerated it to 1 meter a second using .5KWh say, then if you run it for 20 seconds you'd have used 1KWh, have 2 meters a second velocity but the energy contained in forward movement of your ship is 4 times that of running the engines for the 10 seconds.