> Ed sez:

> > Jed sez:
>
> > If it is a hoax, they have fooled the Chinese government, and enraged
> > it. Since they depend on that government for survival, it seems like a
> > stupid thing to do.

> Of course, this assumes the Chinese are really upset.  Having NK being a
> nuclear power to distract attention from what the Chinese are doing
> would be a clever ploy. We shall have to wait to see what the Chinese
> actually do to NK.
>
> Ed

That's a tad too conspiratorial for me, even though I would agree with the
likelihood that what China says should not necessarily be linked with what
they eventually do.

>From what I gather China is terrified of the disquieting possibility of
furthering the collapse of the regime. It would cause a catastrophic
increase of refugees, starving and desperate, streaming across the boarder
into China. That's a "not in my backyard" scenario they want to avoid at all
costs.

regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com