Hi,

>--- Robin
>
>> I think the explanation for the high concentration
>can in this case be found in the mundane...
>
>No, no - I should have been clearer - it is not that
>'local' concentration which is the precise anomaly in
>question. But yes there is the mundane explanation for
>the salt lake also.
>
>The 18O/16O ratio in the interstellar region (and
>presumably the 'normal' ratio found at the time earth
>cooled) has been measured as 0.18, almost three times
>lower than the present ratio found in earth's oceans
>(~.5) and much lower than the total planetary ratio
>(.3)which includes CO2. (Wilson & Rood 1994). The best
>explanation for this is that the ratio is altered in a
>planetary environment by some unknown mechanism
>vis-a-vis interstellar space.

Same explanation. The 16O is produced preferentially during photosynthesis (a
guess), and then when it becomes O under influence of solar radiation, it can
more easily attain escape velocity and leave altogether (Boltzmann tail).
Similar reasoning also applies to stars where O forms.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rvanspaa/

Competition provides the motivation,