You left something out of this armchair analysis of the psyche of those who want to believe it was an inside job: Bigotry.

If it was an inside job then it was Americans who destroyed our own buildings. That's obviously possible -- evil wicked mean and nasty, but possible. What Americans build, Americans are certainly capable of destroying.

On the other hand, if it wasn't an inside job, then it was a small group of low-tech undereducated fundamentalist Muslim Arabs who did it, despite all that the United States government could do to stop them. That's a big lump to swallow!

At the very least, the Arabs _must_ have had the tacit assistance of the Bush administration, which certainly _must_ have intentionally looked the other way while the Arabs were coming -- otherwise such a group of mere Arabs could certainly never have pulled something like that off; we'd have caught them at it and stopped them. Sure, that's it, we obviously /must/ have just _let_ them do it...

Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:
As predicted, once again there have been a lot of vocal opinions expressed on what were the ultimate causes for falling of the WTCs. There appears to be the need to include pre-fired missiles, or thermite explosives strategically placed within the support structures, all to explain the ultimate collapse of the WTCs, the rationale being, the passenger jets themselves just couldn't be held responsible all by themselves. And so, where to lay the real blame.

It would seem that many in the Vort collective are by nature a contrarian group of individuals, myself included. I know I have made it a personal life-task to, more often than not, reject the prevailing party opinion without first looking into the matter myself. While it has not been easy, it has occasionally served me well too look under the rug.

Despite my desire to remain an irritating contrarian SOB I continue to feel that the amount of thermal energy released from the fully loaded fuel tanks of passenger jets, along with the jet's combined kinetic energy to be a plausible explanation. Nevertheless, a vocal group can not accept these explanations as plausible. For them, it would seem that there MUST be additional more sinister explanations, that missiles and/or strategically positioned chemical explosives had to have been used as well.

Why?

I think it's fair to say that events happen in our lives that seem to suggest the disquieting fact that we aren't always in control of our destinies. How do we deal with this conundrum? Psychologically speaking, there is an all-too-often tendency for many of us to externalize our personal discomforts, to lay-blame in the nefarious actions of others or events. We see this happen all the time in the political and international arenas. People and societies find all sorts of scapegoats to rationalize the problems experienced at home: The Jews are the reason our society is all messed up; or America, the Great Satan, is the reason why our society is suffering; or Secular Humanism is the reason for the high rates of juvenile delinquencies and high rates of pregnancies in our society; The Bush Dynasty is behind the orchestrated war against terrorism - and to prop up oil profits; missiles and strategically placed explosives were the real reasons why the WTCs vertically slid into oblivion, all within a matter of seconds.

Admitting to myself that I'm an irritating contrarian SOB also means facing up to my own personal demons. I have had many to wrestle with in my short 54 years of life. It's also been my experience that personal demons when given a chance prefer to remain externalized, most likely as a way to protect myself from portions of myself I'm not comfortable owning up to.

S%#T happens. It is only human to F%#K up. S%#T happens in the world as well, most likely because we humans have a tendency to occasionally misinterpret human events, and as a result F%#K things up. It was a S#%TTY, horrible thing to witness two towers fall from the sky, complements of a band of terrorists who remained faithful to their instant deaths and ultimate rewards in heaven, convinced that god was on their side - as if a massive invisible divine hand had simply chosen to squash the two buildings in the middle of a beautiful September autumn morning. WHY? How could this happen? There had to be a reason! WHOSE TO BLAME? ...For something this horrible to have transpired there MUST have been a methodical nefarious plan in place. It's just too horrible to believe otherwise.

Am I implying that a need to believe in missiles and strategically implanted thermite explosives are just attempts to externalize a horrible event too S%#tty to believe could have possibly been executed otherwise? Yeah, I suppose so. As long as we externalize the emotional trauma attributed to the WTC collapse as the result of missiles and/or explosives, at least we won't have to wrestle with another personal demon that every time we pay for an air ticket and take our seats in a passenger jet that we are contributing the kinetic energy of our own helpless bodies to a potential terrorist bomb capable of killing thousands of people and leveling tall buildings in a flash of an eye. Yeah, it HAD to have been missiles ...yeah, and explosives too. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com