Hi Steven,

> The calculations were _not_ irrelevant.  By ignoring them you also
ignore the answer to your objection that fission and fusion "both
release energy".

It is irrelevant since you are not computing the fusion for making the
uranium and comparing it to the fission for turning it into something else.
Uranium doesn't magically appear in the Universe.

The disputer here is not whether energy is released from fusion and fission.
The empirical evidence shows it clearly does.  The dispute is whether or not
E=mc^2 is explaining the physics of these processes.  Since you cannot
produce an equation for the fission and fusion of uranium using E=mc^2, it
is irrelevant to this discussion.

> You snipped the calculations that went with this.  Why?

They are irrelevant.  We are discussing E=mc^2.  Unless you want to present
a fission and fusion equation for the same element, there is nothing to
compare to see if E=mc^2 is working or not.

>>  This is not observed in any
>> atomic reaction.  In all cases of fission, more energy is released than
>> absorbed.

> Fission of nuclei HEAVIER THAN IRON.

All fission.  There is no fission reaction that releases less energy than is
absorbed.

> Lighter nuclei DO NOT NATURALLY FISSION because it's an _endothermic_
reaction in that case.

So what?  We are discussing the processes of fission and fusion, not what
atoms easily fuse and fizz.  We are trying to either prove or disprove that
E=mc^2 accurately reflects reality.  None of your case is relevant to this
discussion.  You are trying to change the subject, I am trying to keep the
focus.

> > How is it that both fusion and fission reaction result in a net energy
>>  release

> Fusion followed by fission of the same nucleus do _NOT_ both release
energy.

Now we are getting somewhere.  How do you explain the fact that a fused
nucleus has less mass than the constituent nucleons, but the fizzed nucleon
still releases energy instead of absorbs it?  Work with a single isotope,
which you know will fizz, such as uranium 235.  What is the total mass
deficit, and what is the total energy absorbed when the nucleus breaks up?

Dave