On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Horace Heffner wrote:

> I just got around to reading the experimental results at:
>
> http://amasci.com/weird/unusual/airexp.html
>
> I was surprised to see: "- I can't see any effects from a 3/4"
> neodymium magnet. At 10nA, the magnetism around each thread must be
> incredibly small."  That's an indication the ratio of q/m is very
> small.  A very tiny current still makes for a large deflection if q/m
> is large.

That's only for vacuum environment.  If fluid mechanics plays a role in
the forming of the narrow flow pattern, then perhaps the EM forces might
be insignificant when compared to the fluid forces.  If so, then a magnet
might have no noticable effect on the charged stream in air, while it
would have a huge effect if the same stream was flying through a vacuum.

>  Looks like you have a large molecular chain made of polar
> molecules, maybe made of H20 or CO2 or both, with very high
> resistance.

Or it could just be a fairly slow flow of charged matter.  Such a stream
might have a narrow shape which is stable, just as narrow fluid laminar
jets are a stable shape.  I strongly suspect that these "filaments" are
fluid jets which would normally become turbulent, but somehow the
electrostatic forces are somehow suppressing any turbulence.  Somehow the
EM forces would make any kinks in the flow pattern become smaller, rather
than growing as they usually would.

If so, then the same electrostatic forces might suppress turbulence on
aircraft surfaces if those aircraft could be coated with ions and
subjected to a strong e-field.  Others like JL Naudin think that the
military uses this to suppress sonic booms.  But what if it suppresses
turbulence as well?   On high-RE devices such as aircraft surfaces, most
friction is due to turbulence and not do to viscous drag.  If turbulence
is gone, then fuel use is drastically lowered, and a long-distance
bomber could be very small (not like a B-52.)

One way to do such a thing would be to cover an aircraft with piezo
ceramic tiles, drive the fuselage with high voltage AC to create a plasma
layer in the air adjacent to the tiles, then charge the fuselage to one HV
polarity to create the DC electrical forces.  (And perhaps add a bit of
carbon in the tile ceramic to allow some microamps of DC leakage.)

I had the above idea in my head for years, and now recently someone has
found pieces of "tile" pucks which look much like I imagine, and which
also appear to have suffered a high voltage burn-through that could have
been the reason the tiles fell from the sky:

  http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Eyewitness2007

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci