Good post Robin, I disagree on some points but a good post. We will see. I hope fusion will save the day as you do but its wise to consider the options.
A few points:
1. If earth quakes could not dislodge oil and natural gas from the ground significantly why does anyone think CO2 will be as easily dislodged. 2. The wave power cables I'm talking about are true power system cables, facilitation for university and private projects, not a power link to Tasmania, same technology. The governments meager contribution to wave power. Perhaps there's a delay I'll look for the site data. 3. I should have named Ahmadinajad, the Mullah you mentioned may not be able to stand up to him and his apocalyptic view of the future. 4. The compressed air car I mentioned is now a hybrid with a multifuel biofuel burner in the design. That triples the range and produces emissions so low the design has the International fuel emissions prize won already. see the aircar web site. My somewhat sarcastic post is based on the simple idea that solutions exist, putting all our eggs in one basket is a bad idea, even cold fusion is a risk if it becomes our only solution. I agree the coal miners can work elsewhere and the coal companies can invest elsewhere. But some has them convinced that both the miners and the shareholders are too stupid to do anything but dig up dirty black stuff. The PM is also concerned about the balance of payments. Coal is the stable part of our balance of payments. Longterm contract prices don't work well for agricultural commodities and metals. It does work for coal. solve that problem and the PM world switch sides in a minute I suspect.

Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

Hi,
[snip]
snip

No, it's not even a desirable "solution". The first time there's an earthquake
where the CO2 is stored, the whole lot will return to the surface in one vast
cloud, and being heavier than air it will settle across the surface of the
ground in a layer meters deep, suffocating thousands in the process. Then it
will slowly mix with the air, and we will be right back to square one.

That's why there is no such thing as "clean coal", and why those who seek refuge
in it are delusional.
[snip]

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk