Stephen,

If your initial and impressive stab at calculating the amount of
torque generated in the Newman flywheel appears to be tremendous, (and
I gather you seriously dispute your conclusions), I would agree with
you. And, of course, Newman ain't telling us how much torque is being
generated. He just sez it's a lot. Well. Wooopee Do!

My suspicion is that the actual amount of torque is probably at best
capable of spinning a large utility fan up to a reasonable level of
RPMs, before wind friction stabilized the top speed. IOW, could it
perform useful work such as pumping water up a an incline - and how
far up before the weight of gravity would stop the flow. Those are the
questions that ought to be asked and demonstrated. Newman sez it will
pump lots of water, be we have no way of knowing to what degree or
effectiveness based on his demonstration.

I agree, this "SPEED IS POWER" analogy Newman displays in horrid big
letters at that web site reveals, IMO, a fundamental level of
ignorance of what's really going on. It's one of the reasons I wanted
to know if someone could take a good stab at calculating what the
actual Newton Meters values are likely being generated. If we knew
that figure I would think it might to be a lot easier to figure out if
something interesting or useful is actually going on.

PS: I'm still tempted to place a dollar in an envelope addressed to
Newman with the following note attached:

 - "I'll buy that for a dollar!" ;-)

The amount of amusement I'd get might be worth the unrecoverable cost.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com

Reply via email to