Harry Veeder wrote:
On 29/10/2007 11:06 AM, Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Momentum, close relative of kinetic energy, can't be "bottled" and so
can't be sold.  The kind of "energy" that is sold is all potential, not
kinetic, because "motion" can't be packaged.


Kinetic energy is not a relative of momentum. It is the first step in
packaging momentum.

All I meant is they both involve motion.

Kinetic energy = (1/2)mv^2, momentum = mv, and both require that something be moving. So, they're hard to "bottle".

I suppose you could sell kinetic energy in the form of a spinning flywheel. Linear momentum, on the other hand, seems to be impossible to sell as-is. (The merchandise tends to fly off the shelves before the customers arrive...)


I don't understand what you mean by "unfair" here.

If the system under test is a lead-acid battery, then it's the /only/
way to assess the OU claim.


Measure how much energy is stored in the system. Then disconnect any power
sources used in the measuring process and let the system run until such time
the energy store would be expected to be so depleted that it couldn't
possibly be powering the system. This requires an input of patience. ;-)

Right, I can agree with that.

Reply via email to