Jed,

It depends on what you mean by relationship. Both hot and cold fusion produce the same end products, but in different ratios. The reactions in each case involve the fusion of deuterium. However, the two process are completely different in the mechanism that allows the fusion to occur. As a result, saying that a relationship exists between hot and cold fusion has no meaning because the only relationship that exists is trivial.

Ed

Jed Rothwell wrote:

Frederick Sparber wrote:

IOW, Is Cold Fusion-Deuteration "Target Factory", the required preliminary
step for attaining Hot Fusion?

I have no idea, and I do not understand the technical issues in this case, but
I have long had an intuitive feeling that hot fusion and cold fusion must be
the same phenomenon in different domains. Two sides of the same coin, in other
words, or as Chris Tinsley liked to say, like metabolism and fire. It would not
surprise me to learn that cold fusion reactions are a necessary precursor to
hot fusion.

I do not think that nature has two completely unrelated ways of fusing deuterons to form
helium and produce heat in the same fixed ratio. Although the other day when I talked
about that ratio in a manuscript, Ed Storms suggested I "leave out hot fusion"
because it confuses the issue, and I should just say the heat-to-helium ratio is fixed.

I think Ed's recent plasma experiments also point to a relationship between hot
fusion and cold fusion.