Jones Beene wrote:

--- Horace
AFAIK - *everyone* including FF, agrees that high
I am not arguing that the Italian theory is correct,
far from it, and I agree with Ed that without proof,
it is just a hollow theory --- but I can see his main
point, even if it is only thoretical... and you seem
to overlooking that entirely.

And that point involves increased self-targeting of a
fully loaded matrix BUT it is the WHEN the
micro(nano)cracking occurs, and it is in the proper
dimensions, which is important (for him).
In fact, if done properly ahead of time, he apparently
expects increased, not decreased loading, due to an
increased dimension of access and much larger
effective surface area. There is a certain amount of
(paper) logic there.

The increased self-targeting apparently for him is
kind of like a rifle (using Michel's 'sphincter'
effect) where if the target is placed too close, like
against the end of the barrel, then it will get less
energy from an emerging projectile, than if it is a
few feet removed.

Again, we all agree that the FF micro-cracking theory
is meaningless unless/untill demonstrated (but he did
manage to get it published in Fusion Technology).

Ed Storms himself in his introduction to the LENR site
and in several other publications has stated:
"Application of deuterium gas to finely divided
palladium ... has been found to generate anomalous
energy along with helium-4.
OK - ask yourself this - isn't finely divided Pd (i.e.
palladium black) the very antithesis of what you are
advocating ??

YET **palladium black** has been shown, in actual
experiment with D2, to work and produce helium without
the need for electrolysis AT ALL -- ERGO it MUST
produce excess heat!

Palladium black is much different from cracks in palladium. Palladium black is mostly surface that attracts a high concentration of deuterium. Although the surface of a crack in bulk Pd will have a high concentration of absorbed deuterium, this area is a very small fraction of the total sample. Therefore, even if some reaction occurs on the surface, the amount would be impossible to measure and can not account for the observations.

I suggest the reaction rate is determined by two main variables, the deuterium concentration in the NAE raised to some power and the concentration of the NAE. The P-F method attempts maximize the deuterium concentration and the method using palladium black maximizes the amount of NAE. In both cases, the final rate of nuclear activity is the product of these two variables. Simply proposing that cracks increase the reaction rate without taking these factors into account is not useful. Of course, other variables need to be added to these two variables to account for the process that overcomes the Coulomb barrier and the absence of energetic radiation. I suggest it is a waste of time to speculate about models that are too simple and incomplete to explain even the most basic behavior.

Ed
Jones