On Mar 11, 2008, at 6:23 PM, Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

 I'm looking for an additional force significantly
stronger than that between two hoop coils, in order to correct my Helium model.

If I haven't made a mistake, then the normal hoop coil force would be orders of
magnitude too small, which is why I was initially considering possible
interaction forces between individual minor loops. I'm guessing (without yet having made the effort to work it out correctly), that there would be about
1/fine_structure_constant minor loops in each "coil".

There is also the consideration that when wire is used in a real coil, there is a positively charged lattice through which the electrons move (i.e. the metal ions in the wire), whereas when considering a single electron as a coil, there is no such lattice, so perhaps our laws of magnetism (which were derived from
real wires), don't apply in exactly the same way.

Well then you will be happy to consider that indeed the laws of magnetism, even though unchanged, don't apply in the same way, can involve orders of magnitude differences, because the current velocity is relativistic. Also, I think there is necessarily torque involved because the angle of the torus to the axis is statistical in nature, and since torque is involved, precession is involved, so the motion is complicated, more orbitsphere like.

At high velocities the de Broglie wavelength changes (keep in mind that the particles involved, when interacting, have de Broglie wavelengths from their partner's reference frames that differ from their lab frame de Broglie wavelengths), permitting a large d/r ratio to remain even as d shrinks to a small value due to increased magnetic effects. The force, energy, and mass of the particles changes dramatically with shrinking de Broglie wavelength due to the 1/d^4 nature of the magnetic force. The electrostatic field from two opposed charge particles essentially has infinite energy available provided the distance between them can approach zero. The only thing that limits this distance, or at least duration of this kind of interaction at a given distance, and thus bonding energy availability, is uncertainty of position.

For some crude estimates of orbital characterizing values for a highly magnetic orbital (the magnetic values being due to spin coupling) of an electron-deuteron pair, see:

http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/FusionSpreadDualRel.pdf

The formulas used for each value are given. This data doesn't apply directly to your problem, but might be useful as food for thought.

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/