It gets worse. The administration has not only made government bigger, they have made government part of the free enterprise system by printing money to keep large financial institutions from failing. This means that the lose will be shared by everyone who holds dollars. In other words, currency debasement is used to save an incompetent part of the capitalistic system. In the past when its currency was debased by a country, the government made no pretense about free enterprise. Only in the US has the Bush administration found a way to fool the tax payers into believing this is a natural and necessary part of free enterprise. We are such fools!

Ed

R C Macaulay wrote:

Lets see if I have this straight in my mind.. Bear Stearns is an investment bank.. not a bank, so they cannot borrow money from the Fed. JP Morgan-Chase is a bank.. so JP borrowed 15 bil and change from the NY Fed and loaned it to Bare nekid because it's " too big to fail". Translation.. when there is $ 550 trillion dollars in funny money ( derivitives) in play out there in the great game, us good ole boys need to stick together of somebody's gonna thinks wez a bunch of crooks.
Richard

The USA has operated under the Keynesian economic model since FDR. This model ,as in all pyramid schemes, anticipates a sustained gravy train with biscuit wheels economy where everything purchased yesterday will be paid for in tomorrows dollars.... well.. err.. until.. there is no tomorrow.

Thomas wrote,

It's the mother of all pyramid schemes. John Kenneth Galbraith was a student of John Maynard Keynes, and a member of ,That Awful Man in the White House's brain trust. Someone pointed out that his economic ideas wouldn't work in the long run. Galbraith's reply was, "in the long run we will all be dead." Galbraith died a few months back, his scheme out lived him.

The deterioration of the US economy is following an exponential curve. With the rejection of the US dollar by oil producing countries, this deterioration has now gone into the straight up portion of the curve. It has been prophecized that a new source of energy will emerge in the next 5 months, which will allow America to balance it's trade deficit. Yah, Yah, and my pig plays the flute.