Hi,
[snip]
>hotcakes off of Wall-Mart's shelves? Will I someday have a magic
>electric box the size of a cloths hamper lurking down in the corner of
>my basement supplying my household with up to 25kw of continuous
>electricity?

I already have the design for the box, but no one seems to be interested in
helping me construct a prototype. BTW, in it's current form, it wont be standing
in your basement, though a replacement for your local electric sub-station is
not out of the question. Maximum theoretical COP allowed by the process itself
is 2356, though there will be losses incurred in a real device.

No radioisotopes produced, and no neutrons. This is a clean reactor. Primary
fuel is Deuterium.

> Will gas soon once again sell for less than twenty five
>cents a gallon?

Let's hope not - we would never see the end of "noxious" city air. ;)

I would prefer "bettery" powered vehicles recharged anywhere for next to nothing
from a grid supplied by fusion power. I envisage "drive-in" style parking lots
at supermarkets, where instead of a speaker hanging on a post, there is a cable
the one plugs into ones vehicle while shopping, and one drops a coin in the slot
to pay for the power. Should provide a nice extra source of income for the
supermarkets, and hence they should spring up all over the place.
Rapid charging via high voltage low current. Specially insulated connector
normally has no power connected to it. This is only turned on once a proper
connection with the vehicle has been established (built in (encrypted?)
"fool-proof" signal switch), and the coin has been dropped in the slot.
In fact if everyone has their own encrypted "code" (PKE - built into the
vehicle), then no coin is needed, and one's account can be charged directly.
This also prevents misuse.
[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk