Jones,

After reading the rather poor description on the website, I think this is only a way to provide chemical heat by converting UH6 to U3O8. No nuclear reaction is involved or possible. As they say, it is like a battery that provides energy for a limited time.

I agree, this is a convenient way to move energy to a site where it is required without any danger or the need for complex technology. At the end of its life, the entire charge of uranium can be recycled using another energy source and this energy can be transported to another location. The advantage comes from the fact that the volume density of the energy is greater than in any normal battery and the energy is released only as fast as air is pumped into the system. Of course, some severe and obvious engineering problems may doom the idea to failure.

Ed

Jones Beene wrote:

--- Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

If "somehow" all the D in one cluster shrinks to a

size capable of fusing, then one might even get the
reaction 4 x D -> 2 x He4 (perhaps with an
intermediary Be8*), with each getting equal energy and
momentum (which has previously been suggested as the
primary CF mechanism (Takahashi, or Arata himself?).

The more one thinks deeply about the implications of
this particular route to fusion (actually even
fusion-->fission)-- even as 'alien' as it is to
traditional nuclear physics- and especially with the
importance of the Be intermediary (more on that later)
the more it kind of "fits" into one particular
circumstance ...

... that is: the situation of hexavalent hydrides of
very large AMU atoms like Uranium, which can adsorb 6
protons or deuterons. Uranium is the perfect candidate
for a hybrid reaction which is somewhere between
fission and the type of LENR which was promoted by the
"Cincinatti Group" mentioned by Nick Palmer. That one
resulted in the "disappearance" of expected energy and
radioactivity, but this would not happen with U.

That 6-1 ratio in U might be the reason that this new
reactor (below) is for real - and not just
"vapor-ware" despite the total lack of "provenance" so
to speak.

When I first read about it, the initial impression was
"April fool joke" which evolved into "LENR ripoff" but
now looks like it may bridge the gap between LENR and
the hydrino, and fission, and with a dash of top
secret stuff which was not supposed to get out from
our National Labs so soon:

http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/
http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/news.html

The purported inventor (coming out of the woodwork)is
Dr. Otis (Pete) Peterson of LANL. I hope he did not
set out to rip-off the work-product of others
including many LENR experimenters (including Ed
Storms) - and let me make it clear that there is NO
indication that he did, or has done this... just a
fishy smell. That is: in addition to the
aforementioned "out-of-nowhere" lack of provenance...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provenance

Maybe it was a flash of Eureka from an alien encounter
 or the result of one of those infamous Area 51
reverse-engineered reactors, LOL.
Look at the guy's bio. Sorry, it just does not add up
from what I can see ...

Jones