You are right, Steven, if belief were only required, the reality we find ourselves in would not work and it would not survive long enough for us to debate the issue. I suppose we could conclude that the Darwin process has eliminated this possibility. If this is true, then this process would have a low-level recessive characteristic, having been weeded out of the general population.

Of course, there is another possibility that can be confused with getting something when you want it bad enough. Suppose, certain people are able to obtain information by mental telepathy. This ability would give them an advantage in getting their way that could be confused with belief being the cause. This, at least, is an effect that science can explore, as has been done on many occasions with supporting results.

Ed

OrionWorks wrote:

Jones, Ed and Richard continue to transfuse stimulating thoughts into
this delightful subject called MAYA - sometimes interpreted as
reality. It comes as a nice tangential distraction from recent BLP
speculation. Oh, what a relief it is!

I'd like to contribute additional fertilizer to a thought vector
recently express by Ed.

At the risk of replowing the same field, of course
intention and belief play a role at some level. For
example, people can never win at the slots unless they
have sufficient belief to actually put the coin into
the machine and push the button.  If the expected
belief is not fulfilled, the conclusion is that the
belief was not strong enough. If you win, the belief
was clearly justified. Educated people now know that
the belief, in this case, had no effect except to
start the process.

IMO, there's a subtle point often missed in regards to this conjecture
where one perceives a flaw in believing in the intensity of
"believing" or wishing for a specific outcome to manifest. It's not
that it's a sign of ignorance that a person believes they didn't
"believe" hard enough and/or sincerely enough that they didn't get
their cheese. Consider the possibility that it's how we designed the
rules of etiquette. Consider the ramifications that creation is a
group effort. When we all agreed to enter the SandBox I think it
became pretty clear to most that in order to make our "time" in the
SandBox interesting and educational nobody is going to want to play
with anyone who suddenly decides that whenever they plunk a quarter in
the slot machine they instantly become jackpot winners - every damned
single time. Where's the sport in that? "Hey! You!!!! Out of the
sandbox!"

Perhaps that's why we created Statistics.

In any case, how's that for a rationalization! ;-)

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks