Interesting logic, Stephen. Let's explore another possibility. Suppose thought transfer is common in animals that do not have a complex language. One might use schooling fish as an example or perhaps a flock of birds. While other explanations can be suggested for the observed behavior, thought transfer provides a very consistent explanation. In addition, this ability would have great survival value. Suppose mankind, as we evolved, also had this ability, thus accounting for our success before language evolved. Now, suppose that language, because it is so much more efficient in providing the necessary communication, replaced thought transfer. As a result thought transfer became a recessive ability. Even though this idea has been suggested and explored before by other people, I think it needs to be given more attention. Like musical ability or other talents that are randomly distributed in the population, most individuals would have no awareness of such a talent, yet they could see that some people seemed to know what to do before the need became obvious. For example, some people seemed to win all the time at cards or know when their loved ones were in trouble, etc. The fact that any single individual did not have these abilities would mean nothing, any more than a person's inability to play a musical instrument very well means than no one can do this. Indeed, some people have suggested ways to amplify this ability. Of course, these ideas are not accepted because the process is not very reproducible and has no theory to explain it. (Does this sound familiar?) In addition, as Steven pointed out, a person with this ability might want to hid this fact.

To get back to science, a lot of scientific study has been done to reveal the existence of this ability. The results of this work, at least to me, show that thought transfer is real. But like all such claims, this belief is rejected by conventional science. My question is, what would it take to change this attitude? Or is this possibility too scary for it to be accepted regardless of the evidence or logic?

Ed

Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

Edmund Storms wrote:

You are right, Steven, if belief were only required, the reality we find ourselves in would not work and it would not survive long enough for us to debate the issue. I suppose we could conclude that the Darwin process has eliminated this possibility. If this is true, then this process would have a low-level recessive characteristic, having been weeded out of the general population.

Of course, there is another possibility that can be confused with getting something when you want it bad enough. Suppose, certain people are able to obtain information by mental telepathy. This ability would give them an advantage in getting their way that could be confused with belief being the cause. This, at least, is an effect that science can explore, as has been done on many occasions with supporting results.

Let's consider telepathy a little more closely. I think we can actually conclude something about the possibility, or at least the likelihood, of mind-reading simply by an exercise in logic, with a small handful of reasonable assumptions used to guide the argument.

Point zero -- a baseline assumption: Mind reading involves information transfer and that transfer must have a mechanism. For the time being, let's assume there's a physical mechanism and proceed from there.

With that said, we should recognize that there are *two* kinds of mind-reading: Cooperative -- where the subject /wishes/ to have their thoughts read -- and non-cooperative -- where the subject does not want to have their thoughts read, and may not even know it happened.

The first kind -- cooperative -- happens all the time, and it's so commonplace that we don't even think about it. The information transfer takes place via waves in a compressive medium. We call such a transfer "talking".

The second kind is the more interesting kind. Is there a possible physical mechanism? -- Of course! Brains are more or less electrical in nature, and EMF is a fine way to transfer information. Let's follow this a little farther.

Is it conceivable that one could "decode" the EMF radiated by a brain to distill out the thoughts in that brain? A priori one would have to say "yes" -- there's nothing obvious which would forbid it. I can think of two examples off hand which support this:

a) Sharks can "read" the life signs of other creatures by their EMF emissions. This is not exactly mind reading but it's a first cousin.

b) The CIA was very concerned about printer cable emissions (in the distant past) because it was apparently pretty easy to pick them up remotely and figure out exactly what was being printed just from the "leakage". Printers are not exactly brains but none the less this seems like a fine Proof of Concept to me.

But now let's take this farther. First, let's think about brain structure. The brain is a parallel computing engine, with many electrical impulses happening at the same time. Decoding the output of this thing would not be simple. This will have implications, as we will see.

Next, let's assume that at some point in the past someone was born with the ability to read minds. I would expect this to require a rather fancy *PHYSICAL* bit of brain "hardware" -- you need to be able to receive the signals and demodulate them somehow. No matter how much post-processing you can do, if you can't grab the signals to start with you are stuck at square 1. "Hardware" is something you don't get by "learning", you get it by "growing" it ... and from that comes my assumption that this person was /born/ with the /innate/ ability to read minds.

This leads us *at once* to two additional conclusions -- but first we need an additional assumption, which is obvious if you think about it:

 -- Mind reading would be an incredibly valuable ability!!

Note that current theory says "politics" -- the constant effort to outguess other humans and figure out what they're planning in order to outwit them -- provided the unrelenting selection pressure which led to the "runaway evolution" of the incredibly over-developed human brain. I mention this because it's obvious once it's pointed out, and it also sets off in high relief just how valuable the ability to read minds would be. In terms of outguessing your evolutionary opponents it would surely be worth more than an extra 50 IQ points.

So what can we conclude from that? We are considering an *innate* ability which provides an enormous advantage. Conclusion: In very short order the genes for that ability will spread through the population.

In short, if *anyone* can read minds, then *everyone* should be able to do it ... unless the ability only entered the gene pool very, very recently. Because, if it entered the gene pool in the prehistoric past, those who had the ability would have parented more offspring and yada yada you all know the drill.

Anyhow the point of this is that the fact that *I* cannot read minds leads me to believe it's very unlikely that *anyone* can read minds ... because I'm part of "everyone" and if anyone can do it, then everyone should be able to do it (except for a few "mind-blind" people, of course).

OK, that's one conclusion, which already leads one to think the notion of "mind-reading" is in trouble -- but there's a second. If reading minds is a huge advantage (and I think it's clear that it would be) then having your mind read would be a huge DISadvantage. Now let's go back and think again about the brain structures which would be required to pull this stunt off. You need to receive the EMF emissions of another brain, and somehow demodulate them. That seems, on the surface, fiendishly complex and difficult. On the other hand, if someone had that ability, it also seems very likely that it would need to be tuned, designed, and mated to the kind of brain which was emitting the signals. In other words, the "receiver" would have to be designed around the exact structure of the "transmitter". (Bear with me even if you think the argument sounds weak, this is going somewhere significant!)

Now let's ask another question: Given the rather fragile situation in the preceding paragraph, how hard would it be to change the "sending" brain just enough to *jam* the signals? Surely it would be easier to modify a brain to "jam" the signals it produced, thus making its thoughts harder to read, than it was to design the "receiver" to start with -- adding noise to a signal is a whole lot easier than demodulating the same signal! Since having your mind read is a big disadvantage, having a brain whose thoughts cannot be read -- or cannot be read clearly -- would obviously be a huge advantage. So, in the presence of a subpopulation which could read minds, the genes for "jamming" the brain's transmissions would also naturally spread through the population.

And so, with this second conclusion we foresee a sort of "arms race". But, as already mentioned, it seems like it must be far easier to "jam" the signal than to "demodulate" it, so it seems clear which side would "win" such a race: The brains of the whole population would become fully "unreadable" in a relatively small number of generations.

And so this leads me to conclude that my inability to read minds -- and, by extension, reasoning from the huge evolutionary advantage of mind-reading, the inability of everyone else to read minds -- is not at all surprising. Indeed it would be very surprising if we could do that, as the advantages of having a "shielded" brain and the ease with which we might expect such a "shield" to evolve would seem to militate against the existence of involuntary mind-reading.

Finally, a thought to leave this with: Any design I can imagine for a "mind reading organ" would be pretty heavyweight. It would be complex and it would be costly (in bulk, mass added to the head, etc). (Think about speech interpretation -- it doesn't happen for free: we've got significant chunks of brain tissue devoted to our "speech centers".) Consequently, if it was not in active use, it would most likely devolve into something useless in relatively short order. From this, I conclude that, as mind reading seems to be, at best, an extremely rare occurrence, the likelihood that we're carrying around the hardware with which to do it at all is very low. Evolutionarily, it's "use it or lose it" and the more complex and costly the structure, the more accurate this statement is. We don't use it, so we would surely have lost it if we ever had it. And if we've lost it, then it's not there at all ... and claims of occasional rare examples of mind-reading are most likely incorrect.