Whoever gets elected, if they made a pragmatic centralist regime with a
cabinet of all the talents they would pour oil on troubled waters (err, not
good, too Exxon like). The mark of a leader then would stamp his approval or
his own decision by being the equal or greater than the intellects of
everyone in that room. 'W' never could do that. That's what I mean about a
clever Ivy Leaguer, not from the upper classes but one with the common
touch.

Being smart and a good orator is not an upper class elitist thing. I imagine
working class whites are often scared when they see 'uppity' Ivy League
blacks.

Colin Powell though, worked his way up through the ranks. He got through it
and he's a lovely man. Can you imagine the trouble he must have had on the
battlefield with his first commissions and some hard as nails NCOs wanting
to usurp him?

I imagine Barack has been through all that too, in a way, and suffered all
the hostility but I think he could be great, another FDR or Kennedy.

Just get the best advisors, left or right but you, sir, you have the balls
to step up to the plate and take the responsibility. I hope all the world
and its extremists, home and abroad, get behind the next president.

Machiavelli said it is better for a leader to be feared, no, it's better to
be loved but that doesn't make one a pushover.

The next leader needs a solid mandate otherwise the bickering will never
stop. That happened here in UK with John Major in the early 1990s. Nice guy,
maybe too nice, maybe lacking talent, he struggled with a poor majority.
Then we got Tony (an extremely able man) who was all things to all people
but that approach can mean that you have no principles and end up becoming
popularist (left) and corrupt (big business money).

Yes, have the ideologues along in this cabinet but say we are dealing with
real politik not political fiction. A real leader would then defeat advisor
opinion deadlock and stamp his mark. The top guy is more important than
ever, it's not just titular.