Hmmm.

Considering that for the time period between Christmas
and New Years, that the following took place at my
home:

1. Freak high-velocity winds took the shingles off my
carport.
2. I got the flu.
3. Someone stole my garbage can (not the wind, the
winds were dead calm that day.)
4. I discovered that with favorable (!) winds, you can
shovel the same snow out of your driveway 5 times.
5. Was cussed out by my boss for the heinous and evil
deed of helping get someone unstuck from the snowy
slush in our shop's parking lot (because da boss
didn't want to snowplow)
6. A faulty photocell caused my furnace to quit on New
Years Day, several hours before anyone was awake. Once
started, the hydronic radiator supply line was frozen,
due to it being 7F outside, and that the line was
located next to the cat door, which somehow one of our
cats, or possibly a raccoon, removed. The door ain't
been found, either. A blow torch solved this,
eventually. (the pipe, not the cat.)
7. Upon hitting a pothole in The Land of Taxes (NY
State), the coil spring seat for my car's R/F strut
broke.
8. Got the flu back, after messing around in the cold
with all this whatnot.

So.... yeah, '09 isn't looking too charming at this
point.

No, but seriously. I have no idea. All I will say is,
there is a lot of hope and potential, but the human
race has a tendency to waste opportunities, and pave
them over with good intentions, thus furthering
construction of the Highway to Hell.

The same earth is still in the ground.
The same air is still here.
The same snow is still on the ground outside, each
crystalline bit glittering as the luminous melody of
distant streetlights, moonlight, and skyshine catches
it in the right way, allowing it to provoke something
of a profound feeling in even so jaded an individual
as myself.
The same people I love are still near to me.
The same familiar yellow light will rise again in a
few more hours, and will do so for 5 billion years to
come.
The same hope and possibility exists today, as it did
yesterday, if only we would take it.
The same constants of nature still exist, that bind
matter together, that make molecular machines such as
ourselves possible.

And yet we concern ourselves so, build our lives
around, dictate our actions by, and all too often harm
one another...

...based only on a few jots of numbers, which exist
only on paper.

--Kyle