--- Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not think so. In ~4.5 billion years the sun
> will be a Red Giant, and I
> think the wavelength and power of the light will
> change considerably before
> that.

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Lectures/vistas97.html

As far as I can tell, from reading this and other
sources, the main sequence life (roughly G type yellow
dwarf) will last about another 5Gyr.

Supposedly, in 1.1Gyr, it will become too bright, by
10% or so, for surface life to exist here. This
doesn't, I think, do the Gaia hypothesis justice.
Something might evolve that removes more CO2, or does
something to offset this. Of course, this can't last
forever. Eventually it will get too hot.

Or will it? By then, human civilization, or whatever
or whoever the current landlords are, may do something
to change all this. Stellar rejuvenation has been
discussed, to extend main sequence lifetime by 10
times or so. If they can do this, putting up some
solar shields to dump a few tens of percents of
insolation is trivial.

The sun might end up lasting much longer than I said.
If I wasn't exact, at least I was closer than some who
say it is only going to last a few more years.

I sometimes wonder how many of the peculiar stars we
see out there might actually be someone's engineering
project.

--Kyle