Jones Beene wrote:

Sit back and shut-up, or change you tired old spiel - that is the best thing you can do for us now, Neo-cons and assorted Rush-Bimbo-ites.

I assume this is addressed to William Kristol, who wrote today:

"Republicans need to find reasons to obstruct and delay Obama's agenda. . . .

Conservatives and Republicans will disapprove of this effort. They will oppose it. Can they do so effectively?

Perhaps -- if they can find reasons to obstruct and delay. They should do their best not to permit Obama to rush his agenda through this year. They can't allow Obama to make of 2009 what Franklin Roosevelt made of 1933 or Johnson of 1965. Slow down the policy train. Insist on a real and lengthy debate. Conservatives can't win politically right now. But they can raise doubts, they can point out other issues that we can't ignore (especially in national security and foreign policy), they can pick other fights -- and they can try in any way possible to break Obama's momentum. Only if this happens will conservatives be able to get a hearing for their (compelling, in my view) arguments against big-government, liberal-nanny-state social engineering -- and for their preferred alternatives. . . ."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/25/AR2009022501756.html

Rather blatant obstructionism. The "preferred alternative" in this case appears to be tax cuts . . . and, uh, Mr. Kristol can't think of anything else.

The battle lines are drawn! The first round was from Gov. Jindal who said that spending $140 million on volcano monitoring is a waste of money. That is like saying that hurricane monitoring in the Gulf of Mexico is a waste of government money. I doubt the governor of Louisiana believes that.

Volcanoes are common in Japan and they cause more damage than people realize. Blockbuster-movie style disasters in which people are run over by lava is extremely rare, but extensive low-level damage and danger from things like volcanic ash and poisonous fumes is common, and evacuations are expensive. Knowing when, where and how big the eruption is likely to be saves far more than $140 million. In the US, volcanic smoke disabled both engines in the jet and almost caused a crash. More than 80 aircraft have been damaged by ash in recent years, according to the USGS. This sort of thing can be avoided by monitoring of the smoke cloud and weather conditions, if you know what sort of ash you are dealing with, and you know a lot about volcanoes.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/tephra/ashandaircraft.php

(This photos and other information on this web page must have cost a fortune to assemble! This is the kind of government waste Jindal wants to eliminate.)

Incidentally, the hotel in which the ICCF-6 conference was held was later destroyed by volcanic eruption. I read a surrealistic press report filed from the hotel a few weeks before it was finally abandoned, written by reporters who were camped out without water or electricity. They were watching the nearby volcano and ignoring meteorological agency warnings to evacuate. Kind of like reading a press release from Pompeii. I do not think the building was physically destroyed but it was rendered uninhabitable. That was probably a relief to the people who built it, because it was a debt sinkhole, allegedly with connections to Japanese gangsters.

Jindal's comments are an example of the lingering anti-technology, anti-science attitude of the Bush administration and the Republican Party. Unfortunately, there is a lot of this attitude in the rest of society, among liberals and conservatives alike. It is one thing to be wary of unanticipated problems from technology, or putting too much power in the hands of Washington bureaucrats. It is quite another to claim that spending $140 million to monitor volcanoes is a waste of money!