From: Terry Blanton

I suspect PAM Dirac would have enjoyed this topic of discussion.

Probably - but do you have anything specific on Dirac and 3D time?

BTW - here is a good paper which did not turn up til I added Dirac to the
search query:

http://www.physorg.com/news96027669.html

But George Sparling's theory is not exactly 3D time- the dimensions are
"time-like". What does more than one time dimension mean in Sparling's theory?

A slashdotter might opine (and did): The dimensions may not be quite what you
think for Sparling.
This paper sounds to me like technology which is already being
used in games engines and robotics applications, eg for lighting models
and collision detection.

The idea is that there are various things that make rotations
of objects much nicer to handle than translations. But if you add some
extra dimensions, you can turn the translations into rotations. It's to
do with conformal projection. Translations on a 2D plane are difficult
to handle (at least in the framework of Clifford algebra), but if you
map that plane onto the surface of a sphere in 3D, then you can
identify the 2D translations with rotations on the surface of the 3D
sphere.

Only a game designer like Matthew Sobol, the dirty daemon, would know that...

Similarly, you can exchange 3D translations for rotations in
4D, if you create a new dimension which allows you to have an origin
for your rotations which is lifted outside "real" 3D space. It turns
out to be nice to be able to do rotations about a point at infinity,
too, which you can achieve by doing the same trick to go up to 5D. A
consequence is that each no-D point in 3D gets represented by a 2D
surface in the 5D, a line gets turned into a 3D hypersurface, etc.

The nice thing about rotations is that you can do them with
spinors, and you can use spinors to rotate lines and planes directly
without having to break them down into points. In the 5D system you can
also use geometric algebra to compute directly whether and how
different hypersurfaces meet, again without having to compute points
and normals and things, which is good for collision detection.

Gamers ... what can ya' say ... pwned by their X-boxes...