--- mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

> Since a = f/m, and m is constant, if there is a
> force in one direction only,
> then that force should accelerate the mass while it
> operates. That acceleration
> should increase the speed, which should then remain
> constant until the next
> acceleration pulse. IOW the speed should increase in
> steps.

It may be that there is a way to make it accelerate. I
don't know. But what Laithwaite/Dawson say, and as far
as I can tell, what happens in their setup is this:

1. Mass M is moved say 10 units to the right by
precession, thus (supposedly) forcelessly. F=0 at this
point.
2. M is moved back to the left, to the starting point
inertially. As it accelerates, the trolley moves to
the right, say, ultimately 2 units. Velocity of the
entire system is towards the right.
3. When M reaches the starting point, it is stopped,
decelerating, thus cancelling the previous
acceleration. The velocity is now zero again, but the
trolley is 2 units to the right.
4. Repeat.

Each cycle, the velocity ends as zero, but a 'net'
constant velocity is attained based on the
acceleration imparted to M, and its mass ratio versus
the rest of the trolley. As far as I see, there is not
a net gain in velocity over time, so no additive
acceleration. You get 'displacement' over time,
however, each cycle moving the trolley's center of
mass 2 units to the right. Assuming, of course, that
it does work. I don't know if it does or not.

--Kyle