--- "Stephen A. Lawrence" <sa...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > 1. Mass M is moved say 10 units to the right by
> > precession, thus (supposedly) forcelessly. F=0 at
> this
> > point.
>
> This is a neat trick.

He he he. Let me add this: neat trick... /if it works/

> If you can do this you've already shattered Newton's
> laws, no need to go
> any farther.

Well, it depends on what I said, does it allow you to
keep the velocity gained per cycle, or is it just a
sort of curiosity?

> Note that the center of gravity of a top or
> gyroscope does not move
> "forcelessly" as a result of precession, not with a
> conventional gyro
> operating with conventional physics, anyway.
> There's a lateral force on
> the support which is equal and opposite to the force
> needed to
> accelerate the center of mass as it precesses.

Noted. Something still bothers me about the
experiments I've done with suspended flywheels.
Laithwaite was right about one thing, at the very
least: gyros are like women. They will, when presented
with a certain easy course of action, choose the
opposite simply by way of 'principle'.

As I said before, I don't know *what* is going on.

Note: if anyone else decides to take up this line of
research, be damn careful. A flywheel can be a very
dangerous item when 'live'... (read: spinning fast)

I have been hurt by them. Though many are prompted to
say it is 'way cool' to have been bitten by HV,
flywheels, radiation, etc., it isn't.

--Kyle